Saturday, February 1

A Modern Day Timothy

"Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example 
in speech, 
in conduct, 
in love, 
in faith, 
in purity.  
Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you.  
Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress." 
<<1 Timothy 4:12,14&15>>


S T U CK on this chapter.

3 verses alone just blew my mind. 


V E R S E 1 2
Yes I am 'young' but I am still to set an example and I  l o v e  how Paul doesn't leave it there. He actually
outlines for Timothy what exactly he needs to be an example in. This makes me think about my own life and how I am being an example in all of these aspects:

  • Speech} Are my words always uplifting? Do I gossip? Do I curse? Even though I may at times be with people I am comfortable with, I am not to allow my mouth to slip. Paul didn't say to be an example except when with your best friends... 

  • Conduct} What do I do in my free time? In my own experience, however I conduct my life ends up eventually showing through in the way I act and hold myself when around others. It doesn't matter what I do what no eyes are on me or if I am in public- it always shines through.

  • Love} Christ loved EVERYONE. A godly love. The kind of love I deeply desire to constantly portray. Do I love everyone with that type of Christ-love? Do I love  w i t h o u t  prejudice? Even the people who get under my skin at times? haha [please bear with me & my transparency] But honestly, this is a conviction (NOT condemnation <-- be sure to know that) of who I do or don't make feel like they are my friend. 

  • Faith} Do people see my faith? The faith I develop in my own quiet time and relationship with God. Is my trust in God apparent to others? This is nothing I need to t r y and achieve because that comes out of my own strength. Faith is NOT relying on my own strength and giving God the steering wheel of my life.  

  • Purity} A friend of mine and I recently had a conversation about how this is such a big area of our lives we need to keep in check. Especially because certain youths look at us as leaders and examples and will strive to live the way we, ourselves do. This currently doesn't apply to the obvious relational area of my life but in other ways. Is my mind pure? What do I allow room to in my mind? What music am I listening to? What type of movies am I allowing myself to watch? This sounds silly, if not irrelevant in the world's eyes but so vital in reality. When Pastor Mike Connell was with us at C3 the other weekend, he was saying that we are Spirit, have a soul & live in a human body- so things like words spoken to us, music we listen to, images on a screen we see can have a HUGE impact on us. 

V E R S E 1 4
"Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophesy..."
O K A Y
Timothy was spoken/prophesied over... his elders/pastors/leaders laid hands on him.
--> there is  N O  questioning whether he did or didn't receive the gift. 
"the gift you HAVE"
How many times have I been prophesied over by my pastors/elders/leaders yet been content to wait until the 'one day' its time to step into that season?! I have been neglecting so much that I am supposed to just step out in *faith* and step into with BOLDNESS.
Maybe it is a selfish mindset.
It will be work. I am not to "neglect" the gift I HAVE. Also, others will benefit from me stepping into the gifting. Lives will be led to Jesus. 
So: Do NOT neglect the gift I have. 
Check.


V E R S E 1 5
"Practice... immerse...so that ALL may see..."
Remember I just said 'it will be work'? Here is the proof! I bet you that the reason people don't step into the fullness of the gifting God has planned is that they are too comfortable where they are on the path they are walking down. {me, myself and I}
"Too busy", "I don't fully understand what to do", "I'm scared of stepping out"...  
D A N G  I T.
Been there, said that.
But now, I am done with that mindset! 
How AMAZING would it be to actually work in the full power God intends us to through the Holy Spirit. Yes, it is work but even Paul says here to practice and immerse yourself in learning how to work in the gifting & understanding it. That way, all can see the progress made & there will be no doubting/second thoughts to having received the gift in the first place. 
I think it begins with an internal recognizing of the received gift. Then practice and confidence built. 
This is just straight-up exciting.


C H E E R S to new seasons, increased faith, more stepping out- unafraid & confidence in Christ.


Love,
Chels